Cooking Basil

HornelHornel Ooni Team Posts: 1

I've heard that fresh basil should be added only after the pizza is cooked. My understanding is that it goes bitter. However, I've recently heard that many people cook the basil and untrue. Any thoughts? To Cook Basil, or To Not Cook Basil. That is the question!

Comments

• AVBAVB Ooni Team Posts: 24

I like the flavour of cooked basil so am quite happy to put it on the pizza before it goes in.

If I remember correctly, most of the pizzas we ate in Naples had basil on before being cooked. They tended to cover with a little cheese or push down into the sauce so they didn't outright burn, but the Neapolitan pizzaiolos certainly had no issue with basil in the oven.

• mozzafellamozzafella Ooni Community Member Posts: 70

I do mine under the cheese, it won't burn that way

• Kristian TapaninahoKristian Tapaninaho Ooni Team Posts: 8

Yup, I almost always cook mine, that's the way I prefer it. It feels more like a part of the whole that way.

@Kristian Tapaninaho said:
    Yup, I almost always cook mine, that's the way I prefer it. It feels more like a part of the whole that way.

I never get it when people lay out like 4 perfect leaves after the cook 😂

• KevinKevin Ooni Team Posts: 115

@mozzafella said:

It's all about the picture-perfect-pizza!

@Kevin said:

@mozzafella said:

I want my pizza to be warm when I eat it though 😂 no faffing around laying a tomatoe vine next to it

• pastryneilpastryneil Ooni Community Member Posts: 9

I’m guilty of adding after for asthetic reasons. But also for me herbs usually taste better fresh. Like coriander etc. Except maybe rosemary and thyme etc

• KevinKevin Ooni Team Posts: 115

@Kevin said:

@mozzafella said:

I want my pizza to be warm when I eat it though 😂 no faffing around laying a tomatoe vine next to it

For the amount of pizza I make and eat, I have hardly any photos and this is the exact reason!
    It's worse when I do pop upa, cook 60 pizzas, take one photo!
  • Sullivan5633Sullivan5633 Ooni Community Member Posts: 5
    I like to put it on after cooking. 
  • brassobrasso Ooni Community Member Posts: 6
    After cooking for me
  • Wburgman757Wburgman757 Ooni Community Member Posts: 13
    I soak mine in ice water, pat dry with paper towel, and put on pizza immediately before cook.  Usually improves lingevity of leaf
  • tlangan86tlangan86 Ooni Community Member Posts: 5
    I was putting the basil on in the last 15 seconds so that it cooked to give off the aromatics but not burn but then I got the idea to put it in my sauce and now get incredible flavor and aroma! 
  • Dres_DEDres_DE Ooni Community Member Posts: 39
    Whats about adding fresh basil to the tomato sauce base? That's what I do - I blend the fresh basil into my sauce; win win for me: it doesn't turn brown and if releases its flavors to my sauce base

Dres
  • ezoutenbierezoutenbier Ooni Community Member Posts: 8
    I did a course at the AVPN in Naples two weeks ago and the instructor told me that they put the basil under the cheese to get the flavor but not have it burn!
  • destcc00destcc00 Ooni Community Member Posts: 8
    Put in under the cheese 
  • haimonhaimon Ooni Community Member Posts: 4
    I put fres ones 
  • LinseyTLinseyT Ooni Community Member Posts: 8
    I prefer post cook addition for sure. Burnt basil is not particularly pleasant 
  • vndebvndeb Ooni Community Member Posts: 8
    Never tried before cooking, thought it would burn, something to try 
  • HolyPizzaHolyPizza Ooni Community Member Posts: 22
    I usually put after pulling out pizza. It's just a nice flavour kick and fresh.
    Andy | Holy Pizza Instagram
  • sdag22sdag22 Ooni Community Member Posts: 7
    Add the basil after cooking. Looks better, tastes better. 
  • njones42njones42 Ooni Community Member Posts: 5
    I find it can be overpowering if added after. I put it on top of the sauce but under the cheese. It shouldn’t burn that way. 
  • oldstonefaceoldstoneface Ooni Community Member Posts: 5
    Yeah it burns while coooking so after is my preference but I suppose you could put it on for a few seconds at the end of the cook to mellow it out a bit. 
  • JohnnyBJohnnyB Ooni Community Member Posts: 20
    I always cook  a little with mine in with the pizza sauce or if  I was putting on top then maybe good ideal to soak with water first, help prevent with burning.
  • BigGMKBigGMK Ooni Community Member Posts: 5
    Yea I add basil before the cook - obviously a plain basil leaf will burn at Ooni temps. Needs to be in with the other ingredients to avoid scorching. 
  • mybuddypetemybuddypete Ooni Community Member Posts: 9
    I like a little finely chopped basil in the sauce and then lay a few pieces of torn up fresh basil as I serve it to the family.