Mozzafella current Dough recipe

mozzafellamozzafella Ooni Community Member Posts: 70

Repost from Facebook

Yo Yo, lets talk dough.

I get a fair amount of messages asking about my dough so I thought I'd do a post on it and at some point I'll upload it to my site.

As you'll all know, making Pizza & dough is an evolving process, you learn more, you adapt and you try new approaches, and for now this is my preferred method and what's giving me the best results so far!

At the moment I'm using Molini Pizzuti Costa D'Almafi type 0 flour which likes a little less moisture, I generally do between 58-60% hydration, but 60% is pretty standard for most recipes so I've stuck with that in the below, provided your flour has a decent protein level it should be good!

for proofing I'm leaving my dough between 8-15hours at bulk and then 4+ in ball before using. All at room temperature.

I'd recommend you use Pizza app to tweak the temperature and proofing time, and quantities, remember you always get wastage so adjust your app accordingly to account for that.
Below is a basic recipe to make 6 x 230 g balls, without the use of Pizzapp

Ingredients:

884 g Type 0 or 00 with a minimum protein content of 12g
530g cold tap water (60.%)
26g salt (2.9%)
1g Instant yeast or 2g Fresh yeast

Method:

Measure out your water, into a suitable container, pour about a cup full into another container.
Measure your salt and yeast, dissolve the salt in the larger container, and dissolve the yeast in the smaller one.

Measure your flour into a mixing bowl or suitable container.

At this point pour the salt water in and begin to combine the flour and water by squeezing them together, do not knead the dough.

After a few minutes pour in the yeast water and repeat the process until you’re satisfied it’s combined and formed a loose shaggy dough.

Pour the dough onto a worktop and knead for 10 minutes
Rest the dough for 10-20 minutes
Knead the dough for another 10 minutes, you’ll notice the dough is much smother after this second knead, to test your gluten levels you can prod the dough and see if it ‘springs back’ or do the window pane test.

When you feel comfortable that your dough is well kneaded, place in a bowel or container, either cover it with clingfilm, a damp cloth, or put a lid on depending on what you’re using.

Leave the dough between 8-15 hours, it won’t double in size but it will be bigger, and the yeast will have done it’s magic.

Ball up and put your dough balls in a suitable airtight container, you should get 6 x 230g balls with a little bit of surplus dough.

Your balls will be ready to go after 4 hours, but should last much longer than that. If you want to keep these for another day, refrigerate them as soon as they are balled, and ensure the container is airtight, gently let the balls come back to temperature, again 4 hours is probably about right for this.

Misc tips:

When removing your dough, always use a bit of flour under your scraper
I like to give my dough balls a bath in flour when I get them out, this helps if the dough is a little sticky.
For your bench/stretching flour, try using fine grain semolina or a 50/50 mix of the flour you made your dough with and semolina

As always, any questions, drop me a message.

Have fun

Comments

• KevinKevin Ooni Team Posts: 115

Your balls will be ready to go after 4 hours, but should last much longer than that. If you want to keep these for another day, refrigerate them as soon as they are balled, 

This is awesome, thanks for posting and sharing!

Do you notice any significant difference if you cold prove? When I cold prove, I normally half the amount of yeast. The times that I haven't and then leave it in the fridge for >24 hours, it has over-proved. Would interested to hear your thoughts!
  • mozzafellamozzafella Ooni Community Member Posts: 70
    I've not cold proofed since around last July, because I'm doing pop ups on the side I didn't have the fridge capacity to cold proof say 60 X 230g doughballs. 

To be honest I've made my best pizzas since moving to room temperature dough. 

On the yeast, yea you'll need significantly less for longer proofs, if you are maintaining higher levels then it would over proof, so you should adjust accordingly. I'd always recommend sense checking with pizza app Which is basically an easy way to use the yeast proofing tables some guys on pizzamaking.com came up with.

It'll give you the best ratios required to get the correct outcome. You shout also make sure you have the correct flour, done flours are designed for short proof, others for longer.

Awesome, thanks! I like to cold prove because it feels easier to manage. The temperature in my house fluctuates way more. But yeah, a warm prove works too. Thanks for the advice!
  • DavidMillnsDavidMillns Ooni Community Member Posts: 7
    What are your thoughts on polish starters? 
    What are your thoughts on polish starters? I've never used one, so I can't really comment.
    I've stuck with instant or fresh yeast, I know my boys pizzaislovely and unholypizza use them though
  • rumblesushirumblesushi Ooni Community Member Posts: 5
    This has been my go-to dough recipe for my last three cooks, Had my best results yet, Thanks a lot.
    This has been my go-to dough recipe for my last three cooks, Had my best results yet, Thanks a lot.
    Ace! I'm glad it's working for you, show my some pictures 😊
  • haimonhaimon Ooni Community Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the recipe
  • LinseyTLinseyT Ooni Community Member Posts: 8
    Going to give this a go! Thanks for sharing. The spring weather in the U.K. has brought the ooni back out the garage as I unfortunately don’t have the outdoor kitchen like Julian and a few of you guys have. Been looking to try a new dough recipe as the pizza bible one is a bit temperamental 
    I've just got a BBQ gazebo and a table, nothing fancy!

• dan6464dan6464 Ooni Community Member Posts: 6
    Going to give this a go, tried the recipe that Ooni recommend and found the dough tasted great, but had a lot of trouble stretching the dough, really tight

• WayneOoniWayneOoni Ooni Community Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for sharing 👍🏻
  • misuhemisuhe Ooni Community Member Posts: 7
    Definitely going to try this one! What type of scale do you use?
  • AlexGAlexG Ooni Community Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for this...going to give it a go.
    misuhe said:
    I picked up a Heston one ( actually a salter) that's a double scale, one half is standard the other precision
  • Dres_DEDres_DE Ooni Community Member Posts: 39
    misuhe said:
    I picked up a Heston one ( actually a salter) that's a double scale, one half is standard the other precision
    That's a nice one! But also quite pricey. I like this two in one though!
  • SarksterSarkster Ooni Community Member Posts: 6
    Sorry for the stupid question but what size pizza do you get from that size ball?
  • YAMAYAMA Ooni Community Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the recipe, I'll try the app, never used one before.
    Sarkster said:
    Sorry for the stupid question but what size pizza do you get from that size ball?
    About 11"
    which pizza app do you use?
    YAMA said:
    which pizza app do you use?
    It's called pizzapp or pizzapp+ depending on your choice of phone os
    dan6464 said:
    Going to give this a go, tried the recipe that Ooni recommend and found the dough tasted great, but had a lot of trouble stretching the dough, really tight

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Be sure to get the dough to room temperature so it's easiest to stretch :) 
    @mozzafella thanks, I found it for iphone, I'll try it. Cheers
  • SarksterSarkster Ooni Community Member Posts: 6
    Sarkster said:
    About 11"
    Thanks for this. Will give it a whirl
  • JohnnyBJohnnyB Ooni Community Member Posts: 20
    Curious , how does using cold tap water compared to room temp affect the recipe , tried something similar but thought fresh yeast needed room temp at least to activate it 
    If your yeast is good quality it'll activate without the need for warm water, you'll notice your dough temperature rises above room temperature as fermentation occurs too
  • JohnnyBJohnnyB Ooni Community Member Posts: 20
    If your yeast is good quality it'll activate without the need for warm water, you'll notice your dough temperature rises above room temperature as fermentation occurs too
    Ok good to know it doesn't matter so much. forever trying new tweaks lol