Dopiaza's Dough

dopiazadopiaza Ooni Community Member Posts: 7

I've been trying to improve my pizzas for a good few years now, and whilst I'm sure it will continue to evolve, I've settled into a recipe that I'm very happy with. The main change I've made in recent months is I decided to bite to bullet and get a 25kg bag of the Caputo Pizzeria flour. I'd tried a few other 00 flours, with pretty decent results, but the Caputo remains by far the best that I've tried.

A few months ago, I made up a bunch of batches of dough: all using the same recipe, but with different levels of hydration - from 57% to 66%. My wife and I then spent a pleasant Sunday afternoon doing a taste test - I cooked a simple margherita with each batch of dough, and I made notes on the ease of handling, the taste, and the texture of each one. The two best were the 60% and the 63%, both had good crust texture and flavour, but the 63% was a little softer when handling and more difficult to shape. Over the following few weeks, I tweaked my hydration levels a little and have finally settled on 62% as giving consistently good results.

So, here's my recipe:

Makes 2 pizzas, around 10" or so.

300g (100%) Caputo Pizzeria flour
186g (62%) Water (at around 30˚C)
8g (2.7%) Salt
2g (0.7%) Yeast (Currently using Saf Levure Active Dried Yeast)

Mix the yeast and water, and leave to sit for a few minutes to rehydrate the yeast

Add to the flour and salt and mix in a stand mixer until combined. Knead in mixer for three minutes.

Leave to stand for fifteen minutes.

Mix for another three minutes.

Put in plastic container and keep in fridge for three days (two days if I'm hungry and impatient).

On pizza day, take out of fridge about 3 - 4 hours before you want to cook, form into two balls and leave (covered) for the final prove at room temperature.

Comments

• JamieJamie Ooni Team Posts: 22
    two days if I'm hungry and impatient
    I'm terrible for this as well. All my dough ends up getting used the same day!
  • caswee01caswee01 Ooni Community Member Posts: 11
    Im definitely going to try this! Always looking for new dough recipes. Also, im thinking of getting the 25kg bag of Caputo flour too but how do you store it? I am so clumsy i would end up knocking it over if i kept it in the bag... :# :#
  • dopiazadopiaza Ooni Community Member Posts: 7
    I got some large zip seal storage bags (2 gallon) from Amazon and split the big sack up into those - it took five bags to hold the 25kg. They're much more manageable than the huge sack!

• caswee01caswee01 Ooni Community Member Posts: 11
    dopiaza said:
    I got some large zip seal storage bags (2 gallon) from Amazon and split the big sack up into those - it took five bags to hold the 25kg. They're much more manageable than the huge sack!

Oooh what a great idea! I'll do that then! Thank you @dopiaza ;
  • KevinKevin Ooni Team Posts: 115
    caswee01 said:
    Im definitely going to try this! Always looking for new dough recipes. Also, im thinking of getting the 25kg bag of Caputo flour too but how do you store it? I am so clumsy i would end up knocking it over if i kept it in the bag... :# :#
    We go through a lot of flour but this is how we store ours.
  • jfkimberlyjfkimberly Ooni Community Member Posts: 13
    dopiaza said:
    Mix the yeast and water, and leave to sit for a few minutes to rehydrate the yeast

Add to the flour and salt and mix in a stand mixer until combined. Knead in mixer for three minutes.

Leave to stand for fifteen minutes.

Mix for another three minutes.

So you're only kneading for a total of 6 minutes? Granted, that's in a stand mixer, but still... that's enough?
    So you're only kneading for a total of 6 minutes? Granted, that's in a stand mixer, but still... that's enough?
    Yes - only six minutes, and that's plenty. The long proving gives the gluten time to form properly.
  • jfkimberlyjfkimberly Ooni Community Member Posts: 13
    dopiaza said:
    Yes - only six minutes, and that's plenty. The long proving gives the gluten time to form properly.

Since I'm kneading by hand, I'll probably continue to do minimum of 10 minutes, but I'm definitely looking forward to having a proper kitchen and a stand mixer one day.  And for now, I think I'll break up the kneading into two five-minute sessions with a rest in between.  I hadn't been doing that.  My dough turns out nice, but I think I can save myself some effort if I gave it that rest time that you're doing.
  • DavidMillnsDavidMillns Ooni Community Member Posts: 7
    dopiaza said:
    I would agree I started on 10 minutes with the ooni recipe but I then started. Using the pizza Bible method of mixing for short amounts in the mixer and finishing odd by hand. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to work with. 
  • DietherDiether Ooni Community Member Posts: 6
    @dopiaza do you have pictures of the final result? 😁. Or were you to hungry? 
    Diether said:
    @dopiaza do you have pictures of the final result? 😁. Or were you to hungry? 
    Oh, so many photos :-) 
    Here's one up close:

• misuhemisuhe Ooni Community Member Posts: 7
    Great discussion on hydration levels. Thanks for the research!
  • SpiceFireSpiceFire Ooni Community Member Posts: 19
    dopiaza said:

Thanks for the info!...  although the picture does look like a scene from Narcos and has a potential street value of £4 million! 😂