Baking foil - Shiny side up or shiny side down?

JamieJamie Posts: 55 Ooni Team Member
Which works best?

Baking foil - Shiny side up or shiny side down? 10 votes

Shiny Side Up
40%
EmilyBroucheHolyPizzaTwoCentsPizza 4 votes
Shiny Side Down
60%
JamieUnholyPizzaWilltwuyekollie1977Divetwins 6 votes

Comments

• jeff_jenkinsjeff_jenkins Posts: 7
    I don't use baking foil - why do you need it?
  • BroucheBrouche Posts: 5
    Shiny Side Up
    Wouldn't use it in the ooni. But shiny up in a regular oven
  • mozzafellamozzafella Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Brouche said:
    Wouldn't use it in the ooni. But shiny up in a regular oven
    More than likely melt in seconds
  • twuyektwuyek Posts: 5
    Shiny Side Down
    In culinary school I had an instructor that insisted dull  side goes out. Based on the fact the shiny side would reflect more infrared heat. So I have been doing it ever since. 
    UnholyPizzajfkimberly
  • UnholyPizzaUnholyPizza Posts: 37
    Shiny Side Down
    twuyek said:
    In culinary school I had an instructor that insisted dull  side goes out. Based on the fact the shiny side would reflect more infrared heat. So I have been doing it ever since. 
    I'm with you on this one!
    Lewis - UNHOLY PIZZA
    Ooni Pizza Taste Tester

Give me a follow on my social media accounts:
    InstagramFacebook - Twitter - YouTube
  • twuyek said:

Haven't been to culinary school, but I was going to say the same.  Shiny side in to reflect the heat inside.
  • Shiny Side Up
    I'm sure I've read shiny side up. But then again I've not been to culinary school so I'd go with the more educated guys above! 
  • ollie1977ollie1977 Posts: 7
    edited February 16
    Shiny Side Down
    I’ve never used foil with the Ooni but I do use it when smoking and cooking on my bbq’s, I use Reynolds heavy duty foil and the dull side is the non stick side on that, so when I wrap ribs or anything else it’s wrapped with the shiny side on the exterior.
  • It doesn’t matter which side is up or down. The shiny/dull appearance only comes from the way it is rolled in the factory. I know all of that but I will still always doubt myself lol. 
  • KevinKevin Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Methinks this is a myth!

Link 1

Video 1
  • twuyek said:
    Agree. Makes sense to my unscientific brain
  • I love the fact that apparently this is something that needs to be discussed haha
  • WalterWalter Posts: 16
    I've never used foil in my ooni, either using a cast iron pan or semolina on the peel then straight on the stone, but I've always been told that the shiny side is less sticky, though because of it still being sticky enough to leave flakes on food sometimes, I just use parchment paper for everything cooked at "normal" temps.