Which Fuel is Best???

I've just started with my Ooni Pro. I've only done 1 cook and that was with the propane attachment. I'm looking forward to trying the pellet attachment as well as the stock fire pit that comes with the unit. I'm curious what everyone prefers and why. If burning wood I'd also like to know what flavor of wood is preferred. 

Paul 

Comments

• HolyPizzaHolyPizza Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Pellets needs lots of attention. Charcoal with a lump of wood does the trick but if you are after non-stop cooking, gas is totally fine. 

I usually use gas, makes it quick and easy. Fire up, heat up, cook and switch it off. No need to clean the oven etc. 
    Andy | Holy Pizza Instagram
  • Propane makes the Ooni so much easier to use than before. I don’t think I’ll use pellets again unless I can’t get out of the house to get more propane. 
  • brassobrasso Posts: 6
    Gas is easiest
  • KevinKevin Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Lump charcoal and wood is probably my favourite with Pro. Check out that flame!

Gas is super simple which I love! I also have a soft-spot for pellets - they are so easy to take to elsewhere when you're cooking away from home.

I guess my answer on which fuel is best is: "I can't choose...!"
  • CHARLIEPIRATECHARLIEPIRATE Posts: 27
    I have never used pellets and only ever gas (propane or butane), I know some people want the wood fired taste etc but for me gas is cleaner, easier to maintain, consistent and still helps you make top quality pizzas  
  • KevinKevin Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    I have never used pellets and only ever gas (propane or butane), I know some people want the wood fired taste etc but for me gas is cleaner, easier to maintain, consistent and still helps you make top quality pizzas  
    I think the most important thing for tasty pizza is the heat and so gas is definitely a great way to make it.
  • twuyektwuyek Posts: 5
    As far as which fuel is best is a personal preference. I prefer gas during the week when I don’t have the time to babysit the pellets or charcoal. But on the weekends I am all about the fire! 
  • I haven’t tried gas but I can’t imagine I’d enjoy the challenge as much as using pellets. Find it really satisfying when you get a good burn 😊
    Kevin
  • jfkimberlyjfkimberly Posts: 13
    edited February 15
    We use lump charcoal and hardwood scraps (mostly oak offcuts from our workshop that are too small to be useful for anything) almost exclusively.  We tried pellets once but were not happy with the results, and we're pretty good at achieving and maintaining the temperatures we're after with the lump charcoal and wood scraps so we haven't tried pellets again.
  • DoughBoyDoughBoy Posts: 7
    I have the Ooni 3 and started with pellets, went back to gas, and then just recently tried pellets again.  I didn't think I noticed a difference in moving to gas and will still definitely use gas when I'm making pizzas for a large group or wanting to have some temperature regulation for cooking non-pizza dishes where control matters.  That said, going back to pellets was fantastic. The pizza turned out great, the flavor was enhanced, and I think it burned a little cooler, which gave the pizza a little more time to finish without the fear of burnt edges or toppings.  I'll probably lean toward pellets on a regular basis.
  • I prefer pellets or wood. Living in the Midwest USA, we like to smoke meat and such, it's just nicer and more authentic to me to use wood or pellets. 
  • ms483ms483 Posts: 5
    I love the ease and speed of gas. Especially during the winter when I could use it just inside the garage. 
  • dan6464dan6464 Posts: 6
    How much difference to flavour do you think pellet gives over gas??
  • KCC_703KCC_703 Posts: 3
    Wood-only.  Kiln dried firewood or seasoned from the local nursery. 

Started out using wood chunks, but found we were going through bags of the stuff... Cutting and splitting firewood much more economical for us.
  • sdag22sdag22 Posts: 7
    I've been using gas for a year now. First with my own hack, and now with the approved Ooni gas attachment. I doubt I'll ever go back to wood or pellets. I cook from 12-25 pizzas for large crowds and run two Oonis side by side. Gas is so much easier and I don't notice any taste difference. Just better cooked pizza. 
  • SelmaSelma Posts: 16
    I've just started with my Ooni Pro. I've only done 1 cook and that was with the propane attachment. I'm looking forward to trying the pellet attachment as well as the stock fire pit that comes with the unit. I'm curious what everyone prefers and why. If burning wood I'd also like to know what flavor of wood is preferred. 

Paul 

• SelmaSelma Posts: 16
    Making a fire with wood does give a really satisfying feeling, but sometimes it’s hard to keep the temperature at the same level. So I am looking forward to the gas burner in Holland..
    Kevin
  • MBoeckMBoeck Posts: 5
    Kiln dried Ash provides a nice clean heat and good flavour. I just don’t get gas... it’s like people who cook on gas bbq’s.
  • I got to say that I loved the whole Uuni story because of portability plus wood. But since the gas attachment came out... I do not use anything else anymore.
    Might change when having a garden and a prober outdoor area to get some smoke going on. :-)
    Kevin
  • Gas! Mainly because it is so easy to maintain a constant temp without reloading fuel etc.
  • KatiaKatia Posts: 6
    How many 12 inches pizzas can you bake using a 15-lb propane tank?
  • I have all three , and by far the best is the propane in my option. Followed by the Lump Basket with Lump/Oak , then comes  "My Green Egg "  and then Pellets. Of which the Pellets really requires fan and way more attention, just not a fan of that one.