Fail again 1 out of 2 pizzas tasted like fuel again.

abscamabscam Posts: 16
I must say I’m frustrated.  Brand new bag of high quality oak pellets.  Two 165gm pizzas. Was overly concerned about airflow and too much pellets choking off the flow. Had a battery powered fan going; flames were cruising.  I never filled the hopper up to the recommended amount. I preheated the unni 3 and kept adding small amounts of pellets, check the temp and had about 660c reading. No black smoke. But visible smoke coming out of the stack. First pizza came out w/ great top and bottom, maybe slightly over cooked. Totally tasted like fuel. Couldn’t eat it - we tossed it.  Second pizza was slightly underdone, i added more fueled in between pizzas, but it was cooler. It was not as done on the bottom and not as done on the top, but it is what we ate. Pizza on the right was #1 and the one we tossed. Frustrated.  I need an in field intervention...

Comments

• JamieJamie Posts: 55 Ooni Team Member

Hey Abscam!

The flavours that you have described indicate that there is incomplete burning and reduced airflow in your Uuni 3. Can I ask what kind of pellets you use and how you keep them stored? This can affect the way that they burn as well as the flavour of your food. We always use Ooni Pellets here at Ooni HQ.

We have a short guide on how best to set up your pellet burner here. This shows the correct pellet level which can be maintained throughout your cook: This ensures that there is a steady flow of pellets into the grate burning at an even rate. We also have our Uuni 3 Essentials Guide which has a lot of information on how to get the best results from Uuni 3.

Let u know how you get on :) 

• Dres_DEDres_DE Posts: 86 ✭✭
    What is it you describe as a fuel taste? I mean the one you tossed away looks quite "burned". So it could have a roasted taste.... 
  • DietherDiether Posts: 6
    edited February 15
    Hi, I've made over 40 pizza's by now (only pellets) and never had this fuel taste. As discribed above, it all has to do with a bad combustion, which propably means that you're not having enough airflow, or putted in to many pellets at once. Gradually add the pellets (or even use a jam funnel in the hopper) and make sure the back of the Ooni/Uuni is turned in the windflow (or buy a 5euro fan that works on a USB charger).

+ Never put a pizza in the over when it's smoking black smoke, wait until the black smoke is gone.

+ I use a large/long metal skewer to wipe the soot of the stone it's sooty. If you don't clean of your stone you'll also get a burnd taste of the soot offcourse...

Good luck!
    Kevin
  • KevinKevin Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Diether said:
    Hi, I've made over 40 pizza's by now (only pellets) and never had this fuel taste. As discribed above, it all has to do with a bad combustion, which propably means that you're not having enough airflow, or putted in to many pellets at once. Gradually add the pellets (or even use a jam funnel in the hopper) and make sure the back of the Ooni/Uuni is turned in the windflow (or buy a 5euro fan that works on a USB charger).

+ Never put a pizza in the over when it's smoking black smoke, wait until the black smoke is gone.

Good luck!
    Great advice - Thanks for sharing :) 

@abscam - What kind of pellets are you using? 
  • abscamabscam Posts: 16
    @Kevin I am using bbqdelight oak pellets. Very high quality supplier in the US. I agree on the combustion and a buddy of mine suggested increasing the chimney stack to get more pull.

I don’t understand “add a few pellets at a time” and fillet he hopper up to 1” from the top or use a jam funnel.  To me those are opposite recommendations.
  • I think when you reload pellets you need to allow a little time to get back up to temp.
    Jamie said:

Hey Abscam!

The flavours that you have described indicate that there is incomplete burning and reduced airflow in your Uuni 3. Can I ask what kind of pellets you use and how you keep them stored? This can affect the way that they burn as well as the flavour of your food. We always use Ooni Pellets here at Ooni HQ.

We have a short guide on how best to set up your pellet burner here. This shows the correct pellet level which can be maintained throughout your cook: This ensures that there is a steady flow of pellets into the grate burning at an even rate. We also have our Uuni 3 Essentials Guide which has a lot of information on how to get the best results from Uuni 3.

Let u know how you get on :) 

Jamie, i am using BBQdelight pellets are premium distributor in the US and 100% oak.  I’ve watched all the videos and read the manual.  I get the pellets burning nice and hot w/ or w/o the 3rd party fan. Then add pellets and add more pellets and then fill the funnel. When the funnel is full is when I see black smoke.

when i let the ooni burn down to low, there is no smoke but then the top of the pizza doesn’t get cooked properly and the bottom may or may not be cooked properly. Perplexed and frustrated.

• KevinKevin Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    abscam said:
    @Kevin I am using bbqdelight oak pellets. Very high quality supplier in the US. I agree on the combustion and a buddy of mine suggested increasing the chimney stack to get more pull.

I don’t understand “add a few pellets at a time” and fillet he hopper up to 1” from the top or use a jam funnel.  To me those are opposite recommendations.
    Hey @abscam ! This isn't a brand I've tried before so I can't help there. It's no surprise that I use Ooni pellets ;) 

When you first light the pellets in your grate, it's important to let them fire up properly and begin to burn through. 5 minutes after lighting, when the starter pellets are going, that's when you begin to 'trickle' pellets in. Keep doing this every minute or so until you reach 1" below the hopper.

Once you have reached the point marked by the screw on the hopper (1" below the top), you're at the sweet spot and you can top up every 5 minutes or so. This will keep pellets feeding gradually in to the grate and the infrequent top up will mean the fire is constantly being fed, producing that awesome rolling flame.

I'm part of the Ooni support team and we'll be happy to help out if you're still seeing smoke :) You can reach us at [email protected]

I’ve ordered a jam funnel and will try again w/ funnel and fan this weekend. 
    Kevin
  • I did the jam funnel and fan combo but ended up going with gas and I have loved it since! 
  • jimoralesjimorales Posts: 18
    come on ! you can do it !
    Kevin
  • I have heard people have this issue but o have never had this happen. I make sure I have good airflow and keep my pellets totally dry. Also a use a little usb fan to get the temp up when I need to. Works like a charm. 
  • WinetosserWinetosser Posts: 20
    edited February 18
    Sounds to me like a pellet management issue. A jam funnel will help but please tap the funnel now and then to prevent blockage and pellet dump. I've had some foul tasting pizzas. it's heartbreaking!!
  • gracias por la ayuda me servio todo esto
  • WalterWalter Posts: 16
    edited February 25
    I know I said this in the other post, but since that one was pretty long, what flour are you using, and does your dough recipe have sugar in it? 

IMHO, tipo 00 is essential. 

Most grocery store flour is malted. and that malt has enzymes which convert the starch to sugar. That helps feed the yeast and brown at lower temps but burns and tastes bitter at higher temps. 

I say this because I've used bread flour and had multiple people think that the burnt bits tasted "sooty" from the fire but it's just the taste of sugar burning in a ~900°F oven .